Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Aśokāriṣṭa is a fermented liquid preparation, made with the ingredients in Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self generated in the preparation over a period of time.
|Aśokā API||Saraca asoca||St. Bk.||4.800 kg|
|Jala for decoction||Water||49.152 l|
|reduced to||12.288 l|
|Guḍa API||Jaggery||9.6 kg|
|Dhātakī API||Woodfordia fruticosa||Fl.||768 g|
|Ajājī (śveta Jīraka API)||Cuminum cyminum||Fr||48 g|
|Mustaka (Mustā API)||Cyperus rotundus||Rz.||48 g|
|Śuṇṭhī API||Zingiber officinale||Rz.||48 g|
|Dārvī (Dāruharidrā) API)||Berberis aristata||St.||48 g|
|Utpala API||Nymphaea stellata||Fl.||48 g|
|Harītakī API||Terminalia chebul||P.||48 g|
|Bibhītaka API||Terminalia belerica||P.||48 g|
|Āmalakī API||Emblica officinalis||P.||48 g|
|Āmrāsthi (Āmra API)||Mangifera indica||Enm.||48 g|
|Jīraka (Śveta Jīraka API)||Cuminum cyminum||Fr.||48 g|
|Vāsā API||Adhatoda vasica||Rt.||48 g|
|Candana (Śveta Candana API)||Santalum album||Ht. Wd.||48 g|
Method of preparation
- Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredient numbered 1 (Kvātha Dravya) of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain coarse powder.
- Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 5 to 16 (Prakṣepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain fine powder.
- Add specified amount of water to the Kvātha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through muslin cloth to obtain Kvātha.
- Clear, dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation with astringent taste.
- Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
- Asṛgdara Ruja (Dysmenorrhoea), Yonirujā (Pain in female genital tract), Śvetapradara (Leucorrhoea), Jvara (Fever), Raktapitta (Bleeding disorders), Arśa (Piles), Mandāgni (Dyspepsia), Arocaka (Tastelessness), Meha (Polyuria), Śotha (Inflammation).
- 15 – 30 ml orally with equal amount of water after meals twice a day.
|Total phenolic content||0.061 to 0.083 per cent|
|Total solids||Not less than 11.0 per cent|
|Specific gravity (at 25º)||1.02 to 1.12|
|pH||3.5 to 4.5|
|Reducing sugars||Not less than 5.50 per cent|
|Non-reducing sugars||Not more than 1.00 per cent|
|Alcohol content||5 to 10 per cent|
- THE AYURVEDIC PHARMACOPOEIA OF INDIA, PART-II, VOLUME-II, page no 16.