Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Mustakāriṣṭa is a fermented liquid preparation, made with ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self generated in the preparation over a period of time.
|Mustakā (Mustā API)||Cyperus rotundus||Rz.||2.4 kg|
|Jala for decoction||Water||12.2880 l|
|reduced to||3.072 l|
|Guḍa API||Jaggery||3.6 kg|
|Dhātakī API||Woodfordia fruticosa.||Fl.||192 g|
|Yamānī (Yavānī API)||Trachyspermum ammi||Fr.||24 g|
|Viśvabheṣaja (Śuṇṭhī API)||Zingiber officinale||Rz.||24 g|
|Marica API||Piper longum||Fr.||24 g|
|Lavaṅga (Devapuṣpa API)||Syzygium aromaticum||Fl. Bd||24 g|
|Methī API||Trigonella foenum-graecum||Sd.||24 g|
|Vahni (Citraka API)||Plumbago zeylanica||Rt.||24 g|
|Jīraka (Śveta Jīraka API)||Cuminum cyminum||Fr.||24 g|
Method of preparation
- Take the raw materials of Pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and crush the ingredient numbered 1 (Kv¡tha Dravya) of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain coarse powder.
- Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 5 to 11 (PrakÀepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain fine powder.
- Add specified amount of water to the Kv¡tha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through muslin cloth to obtain Kv¡tha.
- Clear dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation; with aromatic odour and bitter taste.
- Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
- Ajirṇa (Dyspepsia), Agnimāndya (Digestive impairment), Grahaṇi (Malabsorption syndrome), Visūcikā (Gastro-enteritis with piercing pain).
- 15 - 30 ml orally with equal amount of water after meals twice a day.
|Total phenolic content||Not less than 0.06 per cent|
|Total solids||20 to 30 per cent w/v|
|Specific gravity (at 25º)||1.1 to 1.25|
|pH||3.02 to 4.5|
|Reducing sugars||30 to 45 per cent|
|Non-reducing sugars||Not more than 5 per cent|
|Alcohol content||3.0 to 7.5 per cent|
List of Ayurvedic herb in which used in this preparation
- THE AYURVEDIC PHARMACOPOEIA OF INDIA, PART-II, VOLUME-II, page no 64.
- ”Karnataka Medicinal Plants Volume - 2” by Dr.M. R. Gurudeva, Page No.32, Published by Divyachandra Prakashana, #45, Paapannana Tota, 1st Main road, Basaveshwara Nagara, Bengaluru.