Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Babbūlāriṣṭa is a fermented liquid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self generated in the preparation over a period of time.
|Babbūlā API||Acacia Arabica||St. Bk.||9.600 kg|
|Jalafor decoction||Water||49.152 l|
|reduced to||12.288 l|
|Guḍa API||Jaggery||4.8 kg|
|Dhātakī API||Woodfordia fruticosa||Fl.||768 g|
|Kṛṣṇā (Pippalī API)||Piper longum||Fr.||96 g|
|Jātīphala API||Myristica fragrans||Sd.||48 g|
|Kaṅkola API||Piper cubeba||Fr.||48 g|
|Elā (Sūkṣmailā API)||Elettaria cardamomum||Sd.||48 g|
|Tvak API||Cinnamomum zeylanicum||St. Bk.||48 g|
|Patra (Tejapatra API)||Cinnamomum tamala||Lf.||48 g|
|Keṣara (N¡gake¿ara API)||Mesua ferrea||Stmn.||48 g|
|Lavaṅga API||Syzygium aromaticum||Fl.||48 g|
|Marica API||Piper nigrum||Fr.||48 g|
Method of preparation
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredient numbered 1 (Kvātha Dravya) of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain coarse powder.
- Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 5 to 13 (Prakṣepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain fine powder.
- Add specified amounts of water to the Kvātha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through muslin cloth to obtain Kvatha
- Clear, dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation; with astringent taste.
- Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
- Kṣaya (Pthisis), Kuṣṭha (Diseases of skin), Atisāra (Diarrhoea), Prameha (Urinary disorder), Śvāsa (Dyspnoea/Asthma), Kāsa (Cough).
- 15 – 30 ml orally with equal amount of water after meals twice a day.
|Total phenolic content||0.187 to 0.208 per cent|
|Total solids||Not less than 16.5 per cent|
|Specific gravity (at 25º)||1.05 to 1.10|
|pH||4.0 to 4.50|
|Reducing sugars||Not less than 4.20 per cent|
|Non-reducing sugars||Not more than 0.80 per cent|
|Alcohol content||5 to 10 per cent|
- THE AYURVEDIC PHARMACOPOEIA OF INDIA, PART-II, VOLUME-II, page no 24.