Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Aṣṭāṇgāvaleha is a semisolid avaleha preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below.
|Katphala API||Myrica nagi||St Bk.||1 part|
|Pauskara (Puskara API)||Inula racemosa||Rt.||1 part|
|Śringī (Karkatasrngī API)||Pistacia integerrima||Gl.||1 part|
|Yamānī (Yavānī API)||Trachyspermum ammi||Fr.||1 part|
|Kāravī (Krsnajīraka API)||Carum carvi||Fr.||1 part|
|Śunthī API||Zingiber officinale||Rz.||1 part|
|Marīca API||Piper nigrum||Fr.||1 part|
|Pippalī API||Piper longum||Fr.||1 part|
|Madhu API||Honey||12 parts|
|Ārdraka API (Svarasa)||Zingiber officinale||Fresh juice of Rz.||Q.S.for Bhāvana|
Method of preparation
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredients 1 to 8 separately and pass through sieve number 85.
- Wash and peel Ārdraka, grind it, squeeze the juice and filter it through a muslin cloth to collect svarasa.
- Mix the powdered ingredients 1 to 8 thoroughly, levigate with Ārdraka svarasa and later dry the mixture.
- Add honey and stir thoroughly to form an avaleha.
- Pack it in tightly closed containers to protect from light and moisture.
- A blackish brown coloured semisolid sticky paste, odour pleasant, taste bitter, astringent and spicy.
- Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured containers, protected from light and moisture.
- Vātakaphajvara (Fever due to vāta doşa and kapha doşa), Kāsa (Cough), Śvāsa (Dyspnoea), Aruci (Tastelessness), Chardi (Emesis).
- 3 to 5 g daily in divided doses.
|Loss on drying||Not more than 32.0 per cent|
|Total ash||Not more than 2.70 per cent|
|Acid-insoluble ash||Not more than 0.50 per cent|
|Alcohol-soluble extractive||Not less than 51.0 per cent|
|Water-soluble extractive||Not less than 47.0 per cent|
|pH (1% aqueous solution)||6.3 to 6.6|
- THE AYURVEDIC PHARMACOPOEIA OF INDIA, PART-II, VOLUME-1, page no 2.