Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Zingiber zerumbet is a herbaceous, perennial plant producing clumps of leaves from a large rhizome. The leaves form a pseudostem from 60 - 200cm tall. A popular and widely cultivated plant in southeast Asia where it is used as a medicinal plant and spice. The roots are sold in local markets in Java. The plant also produces very ornamental flowering heads and is widely grown in gardens.
- 1 Uses
- 2 Parts Used
- 3 Chemical Composition
- 4 Common names
- 5 Properties
- 6 Habit
- 7 Identification
- 8 List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
- 9 Where to get the saplings
- 10 Mode of Propagation
- 11 How to plant/cultivate
- 12 Commonly seen growing in areas
- 13 Photo Gallery
- 14 References
- 15 External Links
Asthma, Coughs, Worms, Leprosy, Rheumatic joints.
Young rhizomes, Young leaves, Young flower spikes.
The most abundant components were monoterpenes (76.1%): camphene (15) (16.3%), sabinene (16) (14.6%), citral (17) (26.1%), zingiberene (18) (7.2%) and lavandulyl acetate etc.
Reference: Dravya - Substance, Rasa - Taste, Guna - Qualities, Veerya - Potency, Vipaka - Post-digesion effect, Karma - Pharmacological activity, Prabhava - Therepeutics.
|Type||Size||Color and composition||Stamen||More information|
List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
Where to get the saplings
Mode of Propagation
How to plant/cultivate
Prefers a position in humid woodland shade. Prefers a fertile, humus-rich soil.
Commonly seen growing in areas
- ↑ Indian Medicinal Plants by C.P.Khare
- ↑ Chemical constituents
- ↑ [Morphology]
- ↑ Cultivation
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Asthma
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Coughs
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Worms
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Leprosy
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Rheumatic joints
- Herbs with Young rhizomes used in medicine
- Herbs with Young leaves used in medicine
- Herbs with Young flower spikes used in medicine
- Habit - Perennial
- Index of Plants which can be propagated by Seeds
- Herbs that are commonly seen in the region of Moist places in forests