Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Nasturtium is an annual to short-lived perennial plant. It can vary in habit from a dwarf plant growing only 30cm tall, to a climbing plant with stems up to 3.5 metres long. The stems scramble over the ground and into the surrounding vegetation, supporting themselves by twisting their leaf stalks around the plants.
- 1 Uses
- 2 Parts Used
- 3 Chemical Composition
- 4 Common names
- 5 Properties
- 6 Habit
- 7 Identification
- 8 List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
- 9 Where to get the saplings
- 10 Mode of Propagation
- 11 How to plant/cultivate
- 12 Commonly seen growing in areas
- 13 Photo Gallery
- 14 References
- 15 External Links
Bronchial catarrh, Genito-urinary diseases, Respiratory infections, Scurvy, Poor skin, Baldness, Minor injuries, Skin eruptions.
Leaves, Flowers, Young seed pods, Seeds.
Nine components representing 92.0 % of the essential oil total (GC/FID chromatogram) were identified. The most abundant compounds were benzyl isothiocyanate (82.5 %), benzene acetonitrile (3.9 %) and 2-phenylethyl isovalerate (2.9 %).
|English||Garden nasturtium, Indian cress|
Reference: Dravya - Substance, Rasa - Taste, Guna - Qualities, Veerya - Potency, Vipaka - Post-digesion effect, Karma - Pharmacological activity, Prabhava - Therepeutics.
|Type||Size||Color and composition||Stamen||More information|
List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
Where to get the saplings
Mode of Propagation
How to plant/cultivate
A plant of the tropics, it can be cultivated as an annual in the temperate zone.
Commonly seen growing in areas
Disturbed areas, Coastal areas.
- ↑ Indian Medicinal Plants by C.P.Khare
- ↑ Chemical constituents
- ↑ [Morphology]
- ↑ Cultivation
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Bronchial catarrh
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Genito-urinary diseases
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Respiratory infections
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Scurvy
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Poor skin
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Baldness
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Minor injuries
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Skin eruptions
- Herbs with Leaves used in medicine
- Herbs with Flowers used in medicine
- Herbs with Young seed pods used in medicine
- Herbs with Seeds used in medicine
- Herbs with common name in English
- Habit - Perennial
- Index of Plants which can be propagated by Seeds
- Herbs that are commonly seen in the region of Disturbed areas
- Herbs that are commonly seen in the region of Coastal areas