Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Menyanthes is a monotypic genus of flowering plants in the family Menyanthaceae. The name menyanthes comes from the Greek words menyein. The North American form is often referred to as M. trifoliata var. minor Michx. It is known in English by the common names bogbean and buckbean.
- 1 Uses
- 2 Parts Used
- 3 Chemical Composition
- 4 Common names
- 5 Properties
- 6 Habit
- 7 Identification
- 8 List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
- 9 Where to get the saplings
- 10 Mode of Propagation
- 11 How to plant/cultivate
- 12 Commonly seen growing in areas
- 13 Photo Gallery
- 14 References
- 15 External Links
Achy joints, Rheumatoid arthritis, Scurvy, Loss of appetite, Upset stomach.
Diluted alkalies or acids cause it to split into a resinous product, a laevo-rotatory sugar, and a volatile, sweetish, aromatic oil, menyanthol (C7H11O2)n, which is both an aldehyde and a phenol.
|English||Bogbean, Buckbean, Marsh Trefoil|
Reference: Dravya - Substance, Rasa - Taste, Guna - Qualities, Veerya - Potency, Vipaka - Post-digesion effect, Karma - Pharmacological activity, Prabhava - Therepeutics.
|Alternately||3 oblong to oval||Smooth-edged or slightly toothed leaflets (2-12 cm long and 1-5 cm wide).|
|Type||Size||Color and composition||Stamen||More information|
|Unisexual||10-20 flowers on leafless stalks 20-40 cm long||White or pink-tinged flowers||Flowers are funnel-shaped with 5 fringed petals and 5 sepals.|
List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
Where to get the saplings
Mode of Propagation
How to plant/cultivate
Pond marginal shelf up to 0-60cm deep or very wet soil. Best planted in a shallow square 2 litre aquatic basket or larger: drape roots into basket and fill with soil firming down, allowing the bamboo like stems to float with the growing tip pointing up (at or just above the surface of the water ideally if planting in March/April. 
Commonly seen growing in areas
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Achy joints
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Scurvy
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Loss of appetite
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Upset stomach
- Herbs with Leaves used in medicine
- Herbs with common name in English
- Habit - Herb
- Index of Plants which can be propagated by Seeds
- Herbs that are commonly seen in the region of Rain Garden