Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Jalandhara Bandha is the chin Bandha described and employed in Hatha Yoga. Jalandhara Bandha or the Chin Lock is one of the three main Bandhas or locks practised by yogis. Jalandhara Bandha is described in the yogic texts Hatha Yoga Pradeepika, Gheranda Samhita and the Siva Samhita. Jalandhara Bandha is said to activate the Vishuddhi Chakra.
- Keep your palms on your knees (your knees should be stretched outwards), then breathe out slowly.
- Now, inhale deeply and raise your chest.
- It is necessary to hold your breath for 10 seconds.
- Raise your chin without tilting the head as far as possible.
- Now, bend forward slowly and push your head and neck to the chest.
- Now, contract your neck and throat muscles at the same time.
- Lower your chin and place it on the jugular notch.
- Keep your chin down.
- Contract the throat and neck muscles and keep your back straightened.
- Look at the tip of your nose.
- Be in this position for some time.
- Raise your chin and neck to revert to the starting position.
Technique in pictures/animation
- It is said to improve thyroid functions.
- The posture can help improve your capacity to focus.
- It helps free the shoulders, and aligns the upper spine properly.
- You may be a little amazed, but performing this pose can help improve your looks! Trying it will help you get rid of double chin. There is no need to opt for costly plastic surgeries.
- This pose aids the Vishuddhi chakra, as per ancient wisdom. In turn, you become more efficient in expressing emotions and feelings.
It is essential to practice this pose correctly to avoid injury:
- Approach the practice of all bandhas and body mudras cautiously, especially without the direct guidance of an experienced teacher.
- Avoid this bandha if you have a neck injury
Initial practice notes
If you are not able to sit in padmasana sit in sukhasana.