Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Drākṣāsava is a fermented liquid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self generated in the preparation over a period of time.
|Drākṣā API||Vitis vinifera||Dr. Fr.||4.8 kg|
|Jala for decoction||Water||49.152 l|
|reduced to||12.288 l|
|Śarkarā API||4.8 kg|
|Madhu API||Honey||4.8 kg|
|Dhātakī API||Woodfordia fruticosa||Fl.||336 g|
|Jātī API||Jasminum officinale||Fl.||24 g|
|Lavaṅga API||Syzygium aromaticum||Fl.||Bud 24 g|
|Kakkola (Kaṅkola API)||Piper cubeba||Fr.||24 g|
|Lavalīphala API||Cicca acida||Fr.||24 g|
|Candana (Śveta Candana API)||Santalum album||Ht. Wd.||24 g|
|Kṛṣṇā (Pippalī API)||Piper longum||Fr.||24 g|
|Tvak API||Cinnamomum zeylanicum||St. Bk.||24 g|
|Elā (Sūkṣmailā API)||Elettaria cardamomum||Sd.||24 g|
|Patra (Tejapatra API)||Cinnamomum tamala||Lf.||24 g|
Method of preparation
- Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash and crush the ingredient numbered 1 (Kvātha Dravya) of the formulation composition.
- Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 6 to 14 (Prakṣepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain fine powder.
- Add specified amount of water to the Kvātha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through muslin cloth to obtain Kvātha.
- Clear brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation; with aromatic odour and sweet taste.
- Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
- Arṣa (Piles), Aruci (Tastelessness), Hṛdroga (Heart disease), Pāṇḍu (Anaemia), Raktapitta (Bleeding disorder), Udararoga (Diseases of abdomen), Kṣaṭa (Wound), Śoṣa (Cachexia), Jvara (Fever).
- 15 – 30 ml orally with equal amount of water after meals twice a day.
|Total phenolic content||0.049 to 0.085 per cent|
|Total solids||Not less than 25.0 per cent|
|Specific gravity (at 25º)||1.08 to 1.20|
|pH||4.0 to 4.5|
|Reducing sugars||Not less than 16.0 per cent|
|Non-reducing sugars||Not more than 0.80 per cent|
|Alcohol content||5 to 10 per cent|
- THE AYURVEDIC PHARMACOPOEIA OF INDIA, PART-II, VOLUME-II, page no 40.