Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Balāriṣṭa is a fermented liquid preparation, made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self generated in the preparation over a period of time.
|Balā API||Sida cordifolia||Rt.||4.8 kg|
|Aśvagandhā API||Withania somnifera||Rt.||4.8 kg|
|Jala for decoction||Water 49||.152 l|
|reduced to||12.288 l|
|Guḍa API||Jaggery||14.4 kg|
|Dhātakī API||Woodfordia fruticosa||Fl.||768 g PrakÀepa Dravyas|
|Payasyā (Kṣīra vidārī API)||Ipomea digitata||Sub. Rt.||96 g|
|Pañcāṅgula (Eraṅḍa API)||Ricinus communis||Rt.||96 g|
|Rāsnā API||Pluchea lanceolata||Lf.*/Rt.||48 g|
|Elā (Sūkṣmailā API)||Elettaria cardamomum||Sd.||48 g|
|Prasāraṇī (Prasāraṇī API||Paederia foetida||Pl.||48 g|
|Devapuṣpā (Lavaṅga API)||Syzgyium aromaticum||Fl. Bd.||48 g|
|Uśīra API||Vetiveria zizanioides||Rt.||48 g|
|Śvadaṁṣṭā (Gokṣura API)||Tribulus terrestris||Fr.||48 g|
Method of preparation
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 1 and 2 (Kvātha Dravya) of the formulation composition.
- Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 6 to 13 (Prakṣepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain fine powder.
- Add specified amount of water to the Kvātha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through muslin cloth to obtain Kvātha
- Clear brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation; with aromatic odour and sweet taste.
- Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
- Agnimāndya (Digestive impairment), Daurbalya (Weakness), Vātaja Roga (Diseases due to vata doṣa), Kārśya (Emaciation).
- 15 – 30 ml orally with equal amount of water after meals twice a day.
|Total phenolic content||0.095 to 0.105 per cent|
|Total solids||Not less than 22.0 per cent|
|Specific gravity (at 25º)||1.05 to 1.20|
|pH||3.4 to 4.6|
|Reducing sugars||Not less than 14.0 per cent|
|Non-reducing sugars||Not more than 1.0 per cent|
|Alcohol content||5 to 10 per cent|
- THE AYURVEDIC PHARMACOPOEIA OF INDIA, PART-II, VOLUME-II, page no 28.