Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Paeonia officinalis is the common peony, or garden peony. It is a species of flowering plant in the family Paeoniaceae. It is native to France, Switzerland and Italy. Paeonia officinalis will grow upto 60–70 cm tall.
The roots contain asparagin, benzoic acid, flavonoids, paeoniflorin, paeonin, paeonol, protoanemonin, tannic acid, triterpenoids, and volatile oil.
|English||Common Peony, European Peony|
Reference: Dravya - Substance, Rasa - Taste, Guna - Qualities, Veerya - Potency, Vipaka - Post-digesion effect, Karma - Pharmacological activity, Prabhava - Therepeutics.
|Simple||Round in outline||Leaves are dark green, deeply cut into lobes which looks like leaflets.|
|Type||Size||Color and composition||Stamen||More information|
|Bisexual||White, dark pink||The peony is named after Paeon or Paean, a student of Asclepius, the Greek god of medicine and healing. Asclepius became jealous of his pupil; Zeus saved Paeon from the wrath of Asclepius by turning him into the peony flower.|
List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
Where to get the saplings
Mode of Propagation
How to plant/cultivate
Paeonia officinalis (European peony, Common peony) has been cultivated in Europe for years. The root has been used medicinally for over 2,000 years mainly in the treatment for epilepsy and to promote menstruation.
Commonly seen growing in areas
- ↑ Chemical composition
- ↑ Kappatagudda - A Repertoire of Medicianal Plants of Gadag by Yashpal Kshirasagar and Sonal Vrishni, Page No. 154
- ↑ Cultivation Details
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Epilepsy
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Whooping cough
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Intestinal spasms
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Cough
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Haemorrhoids
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Varicose veins
- Herbs with Roots used in medicine
- Herbs with common name in English
- Habit - Herbs
- Index of Plants which can be propagated by Seeds
- Herbs that are commonly seen in the region of Tropical region