Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Medicines in the form of a paste used for external application are called Lepas
Method of preparation
- They usually consist of solutions or dispersions of one or more medicaments in suitable bases.
- The base should not produce irritation or sensitization of the skin, nor should it retard wound healing; it should be smooth, inert, odourless, physically and chemically stable and compatible with the skin and with incorporated medicaments.
- The proportions of the base ingredients should be such that the ointment is not too soft or too hard for convenient use. The consistency should be such that the ointment spreads and softens when stress is applied.
- Lepa retains thair potency for 3 years, if kept in air tight container.
- THE AYURVEDIC PHARMACOPOEIA OF INDIA, PART-II, VOLUME-1, page no 113.
- The Ayurvedic formulary of India Part-III page no 217.