Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Lohāsava is a fermented liquid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self generated in the preparation over a period of time.
|Loha cūrṇa-Śodhita (Lauha API)||Iron dust||192 g|
|Śuṇṭhī API||Zingiber officinale||Rz.||192 g|
|Marica API||Piper nigrum||Fr.||192 g|
|Pippalī API||Piper longum||Fr.||192 g|
|Harītakī API||Terminalia chebula||P.||192 g|
|Bibhītaka API||Terminalia bellierica||P.||192 g|
|Āmalakī API||Emblica officinalis||P.||192 g|
|Yavānikā (Yavānī API)||Trachyspermum ammi||Fr.||192 g|
|Viḍaṅga API||Embelia ribes||Fr.||192 g|
|Mustaka (Mustā) API)||Cyperus rotundus||Rz.||192 g|
|Citra (Eraṇḍa) API)||Ricinus communis||Rt.||192 g|
|Dhātakī API||Woodfordia fruticosa||Fl.||960 g|
|Kṣaudra (Madhu) API||Honey||3.072 kg|
|Guḍa API||Jaggery||4.80 kg|
Method of preparation
- Take the raw materials of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 2 to 11 of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain coarse powder.
- Add specified amount of water to the ingredient number 14 of the formulation composition, allow to dissolve and filter through the muslin cloth.
- Transfer the filtrate to a clean container; add Loha Bhasma, Madhu, Dh¡tak¢ and coarsely powdered other drugs. Seal the mouth of the container.
- Shift the container to the fermentation room and constantly check for the signs of completion of fermentation process.
- Clear, dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation; with astringent taste.
- Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protected from light and moisture.
- Jaṭhara (Weak digestion), Pāṇḍu (Anaemia), Śvayathu (Oedema), Gulma (Abdominal lump), Arśa (Piles), Agnimāndya (Digestive impairment), Plīhā Roga (Splenic disease), Kuṣṭa (Disease of skin), Kāsa (Cough), Śvāsa (Asthma), Bhagandara (Fistula-in-ano), Aruci (Tastelessness), Grahaṇī (Malabsorption syndrome), Hṛdroga (Disease of heart).
- 15 - 30 ml orally with equal amount of water after meals twice a day.
|Total phenolic content||0.062 to 0.075 per cent|
|Total solids||Not less than 3.0 per cent|
|Specific gravity (at 25º)||1.00 to 1.20|
|pH||3.4 to 4.5|
|Reducing sugars||Not less than 14.0 per cent|
|Non-reducing sugars||Not more than .80 per cent|
|Alcohol content||4 to 10 per cent|
- THE AYURVEDIC PHARMACOPOEIA OF INDIA, PART-II, VOLUME-II, page no 61.
- "Karnataka Medicinal Plants Volume - 2" by Dr.M. R. Gurudeva, Page No.675, Published by Divyachandra Prakashana, #45, Paapannana Tota, 1st Main road, Basaveshwara Nagara, Bengaluru.