Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Ficus racemosa - Udumbara
Udumbara consists of dried bark of Ficus racemosa Linn. Syn. Ficus glomerata Roxb. (Fam. Moraceae), a large deciduous tree distributed all over india, found throughout the year, grows in evergreen forests, moist localities and bank of streams to the elevation of 1800 m, often cultivated in villages for shade and its edible fruits.
- 1 Uses
- 2 Parts Used
- 3 Chemical Composition
- 4 Common names
- 5 Properties
- 6 Habit
- 7 Identification
- 8 List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
- 9 Where to get the saplings
- 10 Mode of Propagation
- 11 How to plant/cultivate
- 12 Commonly seen growing in areas
- 13 Photo Gallery
- 14 References
- 15 External Links
Ficus racemosa can be used in Food. Unripe green fruits are cooked and eaten. Mature fruits are eaten raw. Fruits are also dried, fl oured and consumed with milk.
It contains Alkaloid (Arecoline), Tannins and Fats etc.
|Kannada||Attihanninamara, Oudumbara, Athimara, Attigida|
|Tamil||Kath Gular, Gular|
|Marathi||Atti, Gular, Umber|
|Gujarathi||Umbro, Umerdo, Umardo, Umarado|
|Punjabi||Kath Gular, Gular|
|English||Cluster Fig. Country fig|
Reference: Dravya - Substance, Rasa - Taste, Guna - Qualities, Veerya - Potency, Vipaka - Post-digesion effect, Karma - Pharmacological activity, Prabhava - Therepeutics.
Ficus racemosa Contains the Following nutritional components like - Hentriacontane, tiglic acid, glucose; α amyrin, gluanol- OAc, β sitosterol and ketone, stigmasterol, β amyrin, sterol, Lupeol, ester of taraxasterol
|Simple||Alternate||6-15 x 3.5-6 cm, ovate, obovate, elliptic-oblong, elliptic-lanceolate, elliptic-ovate or oblong-ovate, apex narrowed, blunt or acute, base acute, obtuse or cuneate.|
|Type||Size||Color and composition||Stamen||More information|
|Unisexual||Syconia||Pale yellow||10||On short leafless branches or warty tubercles of trunk or on larger branches, subglobose to pyriform, smooth, often lenticellate-verrucose. Flowering throughout the year|
|Syconium||2.5 x 2 cm||Orange, pink or dark crimson; achene granulate||Fruiting throughout the year|
List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
Where to get the saplings
Mode of Propagation
How to plant/cultivate
Udumbara is available Almost throughout the year.
Commonly seen growing in areas
- THE AYURVEDIC PHARMACOPOEIA OF INDIA, PART-I, VOLUME-1, page no 155.
- ”Karnataka Medicinal Plants Volume - 2” by Dr.M. R. Gurudeva, Page No.71, Published by Divyachandra Prakashana, #45, Paapannana Tota, 1st Main road, Basaveshwara Nagara, Bengaluru
- ”Karnataka Medicinal Plants Volume - 3” by Dr.M. R. Gurudeva, Page No.55 and 65, Published by Divyachandra Prakashana, #6/7, Kaalika Soudha, Balepete cross, Bengaluru
- Pharmacological potentials of Ficus racemosa by Prakash Deep, Amrit Kr. Singh1 Md. Tahir Ansari2, Prashant Raghav.
- Forest food for Northern region of western ghat pdf by Dr. Mandar N. Datar and Dr. Anuradha S. Upadhye, MACS - Agharkar Research Institute, Pune
- Flowering Plants Kerala - Botonic description