Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Katira is a small, rather crooked-branched, more or less deciduous tree growing about 7 metres tall. The plant is used locally for the its gum. Considered a sacred tree in its native range, it is often cultivated near temples where the flowers are used as temple offerings.
- 1 Uses
- 2 Parts Used
- 3 Chemical Composition
- 4 Common names
- 5 Properties
- 6 Habit
- 7 Identification
- 8 List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
- 9 Where to get the saplings
- 10 Mode of Propagation
- 11 Cultivation Details
- 12 Commonly seen growing in areas
- 13 Photo Gallery
- 14 References
- 15 External Links
Cochlospermum religiosum can be used in Food. Gum which is known as Kathalya gum is used in some food preparations. Tender fruits are cooked as vegetable. Roasted seeds are eaten.
|Kannada||ಅರಿಸಿನ ಬೂರುಗ Arasina buruga|
Reference: Dravya - Substance, Rasa - Taste, Guna - Qualities, Veerya - Potency, Vipaka - Post-digesion effect, Karma - Pharmacological activity, Prabhava - Therepeutics.
Cochlospermum religiosum Contains the Following nutritional components like - Oligosaccharides including D-galactose, D-galactouronic acid; Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium.
|Type||Size||Color and composition||Stamen||More information|
List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
Where to get the saplings
Mode of Propagation
Succeeds in a well-drained but moisture-retentive soil and a sunny position. Cochlospermum religiosum is available through February to May
Commonly seen growing in areas
- Indian Medicinal Plants by C.P.Khare
- "Forest food for Northern region of Western Ghats" by Dr. Mandar N. Datar and Dr. Anuradha S. Upadhye, Page No.59, Published by Maharashtra Association for the Cultivation of Science (MACS) Agharkar Research Institute, Gopal Ganesh Agarkar Road, Pune
- Karnataka Aushadhiya Sasyagalu By Dr.Maagadi R Gurudeva, Page no:23