Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Katira is a small, rather crooked-branched, more or less deciduous tree growing about 7 metres tall. The plant is used locally for the its gum. Considered a sacred tree in its native range, it is often cultivated near temples where the flowers are used as temple offerings.
Cochlospermum religiosum can be used in Food. Gum which is known as Kathalya gum is used in some food preparations. Tender fruits are cooked as vegetable. Roasted seeds are eaten.
|Kannada||ಅರಿಸಿನ ಬೂರುಗ Arasina buruga|
Reference: Dravya - Substance, Rasa - Taste, Guna - Qualities, Veerya - Potency, Vipaka - Post-digesion effect, Karma - Pharmacological activity, Prabhava - Therepeutics.
Cochlospermum religiosum Contains the Following nutritional components like - Oligosaccharides including D-galactose, D-galactouronic acid; Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium.
|Type||Size||Color and composition||Stamen||More information|
List of Ayurvedic medicine in which the herb is used
Where to get the saplings
Mode of Propagation
Succeeds in a well-drained but moisture-retentive soil and a sunny position. Cochlospermum religiosum is available through February to May
Commonly seen growing in areas
- ↑ Indian Medicinal Plants by C.P.Khare
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Forest food for Northern region of Western Ghats" by Dr. Mandar N. Datar and Dr. Anuradha S. Upadhye, Page No.59, Published by Maharashtra Association for the Cultivation of Science (MACS) Agharkar Research Institute, Gopal Ganesh Agarkar Road, Pune
- ↑ [Chemistry]
- ↑ Karnataka Aushadhiya Sasyagalu By Dr.Maagadi R Gurudeva, Page no:23
- ↑ [Morphology]
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Coughs
- Ayurvedic Herbs known to be helpful to treat Gonorrhoea
- Herbs with Seeds used in medicine
- Herbs with Gum used in medicine
- Herbs with common name in Kannada
- Herbs with common name in Hindi
- Herbs with common name in Malayalam
- Herbs with common name in Tamil
- Herbs with common name in Telugu
- Herbs with common name in Marathi
- Herbs with common name in English
- Habit - Deciduous tree
- Index of Plants which can be propagated by Seeds
- Index of Plants which can be propagated by Cuttings of leafy shoots
- Herbs that are commonly seen in the region of Cultivated ground
- Herbs that are commonly seen in the region of On dry forests
- Herbs that are commonly seen in the region of Especially on stony hills
- Pages without herbs images