Note: This is a project under development. The articles on this wiki are just being initiated and broadly incomplete. You can Help creating new pages.
Abhayāriṣṭa is a fermented liquid preparation made with the ingredients in the Formulation composition given below. It contains not more than 10 per cent, and not less than 5 per cent of alcohol that is self generated in the preparation over a period of time.
|Abhayā (Harītakī API)||Terminalia chebula||P.||4.8 kg|
|Mṛdvīkā (Drākṣā API)||Vitis vinifera||Dr. Fr.||2.4 kg|
|Viḍaṅga API||Embelia ribes||Fr.||480 g|
|Madhūka Kusuma (Madhūka API)||Madhuca indica||Fl.||480 g|
|Jala API for decoction||Water||49.152|
|reduced to||12.288 l|
|Guḍa API||Jaggery||4.8 kg|
|Śvadaṁṣṭrā (Gokṣura API)||Tribulus terrestris||Fr.||96 g|
|Trivṛtā (Trivṛt API)||Operculina turpethum||Rt.||96 g|
|Dhānya (Dhānyaka API)||Coriandrum sativum||Fr||. 96 g|
|Dhātakī API||Woodfordia fruticosa||Fl.||96 g|
|Indravāruṇī API||Citrullus colocynthis||Rt.||96 g|
|Cavya API||Piper retrofractum||St.||96 g|
|Madhūrikā (Miśreyā API)||Foeniculum vulgare||Fr.||96 g|
|Śuṇṭhī API||Zingiber officinale||Rz.||96 g|
|Dantī API||Baliospermum montanum||Rt.||96 g|
|Mocarasa (Śālmalī API)||Salmalia malabarica||Exd.||96 g|
Method of preparation
- Take the raw material of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Wash, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 1 and 3 (Kvātha Dravya) of the formulation composition and pass through the sieve number 44 to obtain coarse powder. Wash and clean the ingredient numbered 2 and 4 (Kvātha Dravya) of the formulation composition.
- Clean, dry and powder the ingredients numbered 7 to 16 (Prakṣepa Dravya) of the formulation composition individually and pass through the sieve number 85 to obtain fine powder.
- Add specified amount of water to the Kvātha Dravya, soak overnight, heat, reduce to one fourth and filter through muslin cloth to obtain Kvātha.
- Clear dark brown liquid without frothing and significant sedimentation; with aromatic odour and bitter taste.
- Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.
- Arsta (Piles), Udara (Diseases of abdomen), Mitravibandha (Retention of urine), Agnimandya (Digestive impairment); Varcovibandha (Constipation).
- 15 – 30 ml orally with equal amount of water after meals twice a day.
|Total phenolic content||0.2 to 0.3 per cent|
|Total solids||Not less than 17.5 per cent|
|Specific gravity (at 25º)||1.01 to 1.12|
|pH||3.6 to 4.2|
|Reducing sugars||Not less than 9.50 per cent|
|Non-reducing sugars||Not more than 0.40 per cent|
|Alcohol content||6.5 to 10 per cent|
- THE AYURVEDIC PHARMACOPOEIA OF INDIA, PART-II, VOLUME-II, page no 4.